I love weddings. Especially attending weddings as a guest. When the first invitation to a good friend’s wedding arrives in the mail, I always get ridiculously excited. Love in the air, good food, good drinks and the odd funny/bad speech – what’s not to like? I have a few friends getting married this year and therefore wedding season kicks off next month for me. I eseocially love autumn and winter weddings – there’s something about the cool, crispness in the air that makes the day all the more exciting.
So in honour of these occasions, I thought I’d put together some wedding guest outfits for under $100 (total) – just to prove that dressing for an occasion on a budget is not impossible. Here’s a few tips to ensure you get the most out of your budget:
- Have an idea of the wedding’s dress code and theme. You need to know if it is relaxed (for example a beach or country wedding), cocktail, formal or black tie. The future bride and groom’s personality, the venue and the time of the event will give you hints, however if you’re not sure, just ask!
- I don’t usually wear black to weddings, however it is becoming more common these days. If you’re stuck in a black rut, however, try navy. It’s almost universally flattering and is as easy to style as black. In fact, my outfits below are based on this season’s navy, blue and grey tones.
- If you can, borrow an outfit or dress from a similarly-sized friend. Most women have at least one special occasion dress hanging in their wardrobe, just begging to be worn again. Just remember to return it washed (or dry cleaned), and in as just as good condition as it was leant to you.
- If you’re on a budget, and need to buy something new, think simply when shopping. Once you have the dress, find a simple pair of shoes (thin strapped heels are right on trend, however so is the classic pump and low, block heels). Try a nude coloured shoe, as they can look more expensive than black.
- Also, shop to an easy to match colour palette. I usually stick to a navy, black, nude and metallic colour palette. These colours all work really well together, and create an elegant, polished outfit which is perfect for special occasions.
- Know where to shop to get bargains. Remember to check out the sale section. With winter around the corner, new winter boots are flooding into stores, and retailers are looking to offload their heeled sandals. This is your chance to snap up a special occasion shoe for a steal.
With that in mind, here are five outfits all under $100, total, for your inspiration.
Outfit 1: $98
Outfit 2: $75
Outfit 3: $98
Outfit 4: $91
Outfit 5: $99
Are you attending any weddings this year?