Last week I received a lovely email from one of Pretty Chuffed’s readers, requesting help accessorising a one-shouldered dress. The lovely reader purchased a gorgeously bright one shouldered dress however was unsure of what to wear with it, especially as she was not usually a dress wearer and didn’t want to spend too much money. I said of course I’d be happy to help, and tracked down some styling options at bargain prices. I asked if she would be ok with my sharing my tips and finds with you all, and she approved. So, here are my tips on how to wear a one-shoulder dress, a few gorgeous one -shouldered finds and my favourite accessories and shoes to wear with them, all under $100. (PS if you’d like help with an outfit or styling for an occasion, drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tips for wearing a one shouldered dress:
- One-shouldered or sleeved dresses require accessories to balance out the lack of fabric on one of the arms, so wear a bangle, bracelet set or a bunch of arm candy on the opposing wrist.
- The neckline of a one shouldered dress means a necklace will usually look too busy and complicated, so I would avoid wearing one.
- Hairstyles that work well with a one-shouldered dress include up styles, buns or down and pulled to the side. Short hair works well – I would just keep it uncomplicated.
- Open-toed shoes work best with a one-shouldered dress, especially if it is long or maxi style.
- A one-shouldered dress calls for a strapless bra. Please don’t wear one with bra straps showing!
Here’s a few of my favourite one-shouldered dress buys online right now:
ASOS one shouldered ruffle dress AUD$67.31 (also in fuschia and coral)
Do you like one shouldered dresses? How do you style them?